Nuclear density/moisture gauges are used extensively in road construction and land reclamation works.
The gauge houses two relatively large sealed sources which require careful management to ensure the restriction of exposures. Being contained within mobile equipment, these sources are subject to the normal rigours of transport and potentially serious accidents both on the roads and on site. The RPS therefore has to be aware of both the operational exposure risk and the risk of accidents involving the gauge.
This course is held on your premises and includes:
- The nature of the radiation hazard
- Benchmarks of dose
- The principles of radiation protection
- Legislative controls including transport regulations, and
- The necessary contingencies for accidents.
The course focuses on the radiation safety issues surrounding the storage, handling, transport and use of NDM gauges. A clear explanation is given of the exposure risks from both normal operation and resulting from accidents involving the gauge. The RPS is made aware of recent updates to the legislation and the the latest commentary from the enforcing authorities (HSE, EA, ONR). The course includes a summary questionnaire which highlights the key points for ensuring the safe use of NDM gauges.
- Hazards and risks presented by the radioactive sealed sources
- Radiation monitoring
- Contingency plans for road and site accidents involving the gauge
- Regulatory requirements for ensuring radiation safety (IRR17)
- Regulatory requirements for managing the radioactive sources (EPR16)
- Regulatory requirements for transporting the gauge on UK roads (CDG09)
- Short videos on preparing the vehicle, inspecting the gauge case and conducting a leakage test
- Course fees: £ POA
- Course duration approximately 6 hours.
- Refresher courses are held at your premises on request.
Our administrative team provide support to the firm, and coordinates all RPS training courses. For general enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org or call.. 01625 576000.
“I really enjoyed the course; it was very informative and challenging. It wasn’t totally relevant to my field of work (medical) and I think that maybe this could have been more clearly highlighted. In saying this I found the course well worth the attendance and would recommend it to others”
“Openness and group working proved a good point for all involved. Instructors were first class, very helpful and professional. Hotel and food were very good. Would thoroughly recommend to colleagues”
“I thought the course was really good – particularly the number of delegates involved. Everybody integrated really well together and the tutors were very approachable. I felt I learned a lot from this course”
“A very interesting and enjoyable course. The course notes will be of great use to me in the future”
“I would like to thank the team at Radman for an excellent service.
A professional approach to our initial assessment by a knowledgeable assessor, a training course that helped to make interesting what can be a brain numbing amount of information and a generally good customer service”